Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Art 240, Week 9.1: Aaron Draplin Lecture Write Up OFF CAMPUS EVENT

Here is my write up of the lecture I went to on October 2nd at the Pennsylvania College of Art and Design. 






















Michael Pfeffer
Typography 1 Tu Th 3-5:3014
Professor Nancy Mata
Aaron Draplin: Tall Tales from a Large Man
14 Oct. 2014


I attended a lecture at the Pennsylvania College of Art and Design with my classmate Gaby Cohen. Several of our classmates and Professor Mata also attended. Gaby and I sat in the back and were anti social. I was in a semi grumpy grouch mood because I had projects for other classes due and was tired. Luckily the lecture was good and made me realize I was being a bit of a butthead. The lecturer was Aaron Draplin who is a successful graphic designer. I thought he was going to be a huge guy, but he was normal sized man who was just a bit overweight.
He was a positive guy who did clean, bold work. I related to him artistically (we share the same favorite font family, Futura) and I enjoyed all of his work. He talked to us about his life and how he bounced around the country while improving his draftsmanship. Through hard work and his own talent he managed to build his own personal design brand, DDC (Draplin Design Co.), with the mission of making good products for good people. The lecture was done in a simple manner, he just spoke with a powerpoint, but the content was engaging.
Mr. Draplin mainly pushed that if you believe in something and work hard you can make things that people will genuinely enjoy. I liked the laid back tone of the talk and the humor Aaron brought to his own story. You could tell he enjoys design and loves what he does. He showed how you can do good work and get paid, but still put a bit of your soul into it and make it your own. We were told entertaining stories about how he helped his friends with his design skills, situations he got into, and people he met while traveling the country. He values family highly and it was touching to hear him talk about how much he treasured his recently deceased father.
It was great to hear him speak about how excited he was to make a logo for President Barack Obama’s stimulus package. Sometimes I fear I am becoming a cynical jerk, and stories like this just remind me that doing things you enjoy are the reason to live life. At the end of the lecture he showed us pictures of himself with famous people which was good for some hearty laughs. The only part of the lecture I didn’t like was that it didn’t start on time, but what do you expect out of a talk from an artist?  After he concluded his lecture he asked us to spend money on his merch in a polite way and everyone got to talk to him. Seeing how I was being a little wiener face, I didn’t go up and just buy a hat and some of his nice little notebooks like I should have. So I ordered a hat later online because I like to waste money on shipping, and make myself wait for things.
I didn’t really learn much from the lecture (I don’t mean that in a bad way, the lecture was 

good), as most creative types will tell you the best way to make stuff is to just start making stuff, and 

that is what Aaron Draplin touched on here. I did find a new artist to be inspired by and buy things 

from so that is always a positive. I am moving soon so I can use some nice grown up art to put in my 

new place. The lecture also helped me realize to just be positive and try hard,  and good things can 

happy. I hope the second lecture I attend is as good as this one.

Here is a picture of me in my hat. USA #1

No comments:

Post a Comment